Placename origin: Cassiar

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Tue Aug 1 16:24:36 UTC 2000

>An article in today's Vancouver Sun (July 31) on the "rebirth" of
>Cassiar BC as an internet community prompted me to go have a look at the
>site http://www.angelfire.com/bc/Cassiar/index.html because I've lately
>been planning to add a guestbook to my Lillooet-Bridge River website(s),
>the new version of which I hope to have up and running by September.  I
>get lots of mail from former residents of the Bridge River Valley,
>Seton/the Lakes and Lillooet and figure it would be a good thing to
>have.

I know we've agreed in the past that the Akriggs are not all that reliable
but I submit their definition just for the record!

Cassiar Mountains, south of Yukon-B.C. border. This is derived from the word
"kaska", a corruption of the Indian name of McDame Creek (a tributary of
Dease River), where the Kaska Indians assembled in summer to fish and trade.
One anthropologist says "kaska" means "old moccasins", a term of scorn that
Tahltan Indians applied to the neighbouring Kaska Indians in the Dease River
area.(From British Columbia Place Names)

Theresa Kishkan

p.s. I'll look it up in Walbran as soon as I can find it in this midden of a
study!
Theresa Kishkan
RR1 Site 20 C11
Madeira Park, B.C.
V0N 2H0
(604)883-2377
Red Laredo Boots (1997); Sisters of Grass (2000)