Oregon coast artifacts vs. Drake - Long Reply -Reply

Tony Johnson tony.johnson at GRANDRONDE.ORG
Thu Aug 10 15:25:05 UTC 2000

A quick note...

The Southern Athpaskan folks in this area lived in plank houses also.
Their sweat lodges were also of the same design--rectangular plank
houses.  Some of the Kalapuya groups of the Willamette Valley did have
round pit houses, and surely coast tribes in our area were all aware of
them.  No answers from me though, just thoughts.

Regarding Drake, I surely don't mean to imply that he physically brought
in colonization.  For that matter our folks liked the first ship captain
to come into our river (we burned the second one).  It's just that with
no adequate notes on our history in parks or roadsides in my country I
would like to see reference to our thriving at the time of these
encounters, and a note of the (often unintentional) decimation that
followed.--T.J.