tribe names from 1817 Thomson atlas

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Aug 18 16:41:15 UTC 2000

Klahowya, shiks,

Some of those names look easy to identify, while others are probably misplaced on the map.  Given the minimal amount of knowledge among Europeans of our region's geography circa 1817, it's not surprising to see some of the inaccuracies that are exemplified in the examples cited by Mike.

For example:  <Skilut> would appear to be the "Skilloot" of Lewis & Clark, Chinookans of the lower Columbia River, *not* Puget Sound.

"Ear Bob Lake" for Pend d'Oreille is not so hard to interpret, as it's the contemporary English translation of the French name.  That is, the term for "earring" at that time was "ear bob".  One wonders whether the name "Lacouteray"/"Lac Court Oreilles" etc. in Wisconsin might have been influenced by a mistaken translation *back from* English into French, taking "bob" to mean "cut"!

"Flat Bow" sounds familiar, but I'm away from home now and can't find a reference...

Cheers,
Dave