"Chinook moon", "Chinook saw"; "katchem" (fwd)

Sally Thomason thomason at UMICH.EDU
Mon Mar 13 12:42:53 UTC 2000

Mike Cleven's suggestion that American Indian Pidgin English might
be a "parent" of Chinook Jargon is interesting, but I don't think
it'll work in the end: the grammar of AIPE is really different from
the grammar of any variety of Chinook Jargon -- word order differs,
for instance, and other grammatical structures also differ.  That
-em suffix from AIPE occurs only on isolated words, for instance;
I haven't seen any productive use of it in Natives' CJ, even if it
occurs as part of a word or two.  (That is: a word like "katchem"
may be used as a single unit in CJ, but not, I bet, as a stem
"katch" plus a suffix "-em" -- it's similar to those words that
were discussed in an earlier thread, French-derived words like
likok "rooster", where the French article is part of a single
unit, not with any separate function apart.)

   -- Sally