Meacham's CJ in Oregon 1870

Aron Faegre faegre at TELEPORT.COM
Sat Mar 18 05:43:34 UTC 2000

Cla-hoy-em-six,

In reading this book I kept a list of all the Chinook Jargon words he
listed -- often he gave his own translation.  Sorry that this message is
so long, but hoping it might be of use or interest to others on the list
as a representative list of common words in Oregon in 1870.

Aron

List of Chinook jargon words used in:

Wigwam & War Path or The Royal Chief in Chains by A. B. Meacham, Press
of Rockwell & Churchill, 1875.

Meacham was Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Oregon, 1869-1872.  He
was criticized as being an "Indian sympathizer" by many whites.  The
book discusses his travels all around Oregon as that Superintendent.  He
was head of the "Peace Commission" during the "Modoc Wars", and was
partially scalped when the Peace Commission members were shot by Captain
Jack and his men.  He was saved by the native woman "Tobey", who was his
translator.

I've read the book in part because an important mentor to me is
Meacham's great-grandson.  He had told me some of Meacham’s story and it
seemed unbelievable.  The book tells quite a story – in Meacham’s own
words – and it is believable!

Below is listed the book page number, the Chinook Jargon word (as he
spelled it), with his translation under it.  Also listed are occasional
items that were of general interest.

Aron Faegre    March 17, 2000

p. 7 pappoose
"basket with its young soul"
p. 8 wick-e-ups
Indian tents
p. 15 squaws
[discusses how they are treated poorly]
p. 16 arrival at camp Kish-ke-kosh
p. 25 Kin-ni-ki-nick
tobacco
p. 32 Meacham at Lee's Encampment, 50 miles south of Walla-Walla on top
of Blue Mountain, one of the out-boundaries of the Umatilla Indian
Reservation, occupied by the Walla-Walla, Cayuse, and Umatilla Indians,
1863
p. 33 Grand Round valley
p. 34 Cayuse ponies
mules
p. 36 Now-wit-ka, mika pot-lutch.  Chic-a-mon-niker is-cum, cu-i-tun!
Yes, you show the money, and I will furnish the horse.
p. 37 Wake-ic-ta-cum-tux.
I don't understand you.
p. 37 ...the next move was to adjust the packs on the Cayuse.  This was
not done easily.  First, because pony did not understand Pat's jargon...

[interesting use of word jargon]
p. 42 Ten-as-moose-moose
small steer
p. 42 Hi-as-moose-moose
big steer
p. 46 Indian muck-a-muck
a sweet, nutritious root called camas
p. 47 wild Cayuses
Indian horses
p. 49 Chief Homli, Umatilla Indians
p. 52 Umatilla
horse-heaven
p. 53 ki-o-te
cayote
p. 53 council wigwams
p. 54 Chief How-lish-wam-po of Cayuse, and Chief Wenupswott of the
Umatillas
p. 57 In fall of 1866 the "Oregon Delegation" proposes Meacham as
Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Oregon.  President Johnson vetoes
since wrong political party.  With the ascension of President Grant,
Meacham assumed the duties of office May 1, 1869.  "The new
administration had the Indian question in transit, between three
policies:  The Old Way, "Civil Service", "The War Department Policy",
and General Grant's "Quaker Policy".  With good intention, doubtless,
the several policies were put on trial.  Oregon superintendency and all
its agencies were assigned to the tender care of the War Department
policy and I was ordered to turn over my office to an officer of the
Army, even before I had performed an important official duty.
Remonstrance was made by the people of Oregon against the change.  A
compromise was effected.  I was retained as superintendent..."
p. 58 "The Coast Reservation" covering 300 miles of the Pacific
coast...  It had never been ceded to the Government...
p. 58 Clutchmen
squaws
p. 59 hollow-tree canoe...white "tyeee" of the "great canoe"
p. 59 story of Oneatta at Ya Quina Bay
p. 61 e-li-he
home
p. 61 ic-tas
goods
p. 61 Hal-lu-me, til-li-cum
strangers
p. 61 Cla-hoy-em-six, tyee?
How do you do, Chief?
p. 62 pot-lach dance
giving dance
p. 62 chick-a-mon
money
p. 64 The sailors, with the women and maidens, had organized a school,
on a small scale.  Merry laughter often broke at the clumsy efforts of
white man's tongue to imitate Indian wa-wa (talk).
p. 65 pil-pil dance
a dance in honor of Indian maiden when she "comes out"
p. 68 He spent much time at the e-li-he of the tyee chief...
p. 68 Mansinetta trees
p. 69 The conference was transferred to the e-li-he of Tyee John...
[father of Oneatta]
p. 73 Me-si-ka, is-cum, ni-ka-hi-ak-close, ten-as-cluchman, Oneatta?
Have you brought back my beautiful daughter, Oneatta?
p. 73 Ni-ka-cum-tux Oneatta
I remember Oneatta
p. 74 Meacham goes to the Siletz Reservation with U. S. Senator
Odeneal...Remain overnight at Elk Horn Hotel...took passage in small
row-boats...To-toot-na-Jack wins rowing contest...
p. 84 "Sku-Kum" House
Guard House
p. 84 ic-tas
goods
p. 87 chick-chick
wagons
p. 88 There were several languages represented in the council; the major
portion of the Indians understood the jargon, or "Chi-nook," a language
composed of less than 100 words; partly Indian, Spanish, French, and
"Boston".  The latter word is in common use among the tribes of Oregon
and Washington territory to represent white men or American.
p. 89 Si-wash-the
usual word for Indian
p. 89 discussion about Christian religions
p. 95 Meacham discusses Alsea Agency, located on the Coast reservation
south of Yaquina Bay...the people are "salt chuck," or salt-water
Indians
p. 101 Meacham visits Grand Round Indian Agency near old Ft. Yamhill in
September, 1869
p. 110 description of Grand Round Agency
p. 113 Salem Tyee
superintendent
p. 114 Jo Hutchins, chief of Santiams
p. 114 Indian speeches are remarkable for pertinency and for forceable
expression...much of the original beauty is lost in the translation, as
few of them speak in the English language...during my residence...I have
taken notes and in many instances kept verbatim reports...I have
selected from several hundred pages, a few speeches made by these
people, for use in making up my book...
p. 115 speeches by Wapto Dave, Jo Hutchins, Black Tom, Solomon Riggs,
speeches...[all given in English translation]
p. 119 So-chala-tyee
God sees you
p. 119 Alta-kup-et
I am done
p. 124 Indian Neeseka-nan-itch-mi-ka, Is-cum, twenty acres: Nika
cluchman is-cum, twenty acres; Ni-ka ten-us-cluchman is-cum, ten acres;
Nika ten-us-man is-cum, ten acres; Ma-mook, sixty acres; Al-ka.
You see I get twenty acres, my squaw get twenty acres, my daughter get
ten acres, my son get ten acres, making sixty acres in all.
p. 124 Spose Misika Capit mamook icta el-i-he, Kau-yua nika is cum,
seventy acres.
Suppose you stop surveying, and wait a while, I can get seventy acres,
maybe eighty acres.
p. 124 Cum-tux
understand?
p. 124 Nika-is-cum, ten-as-man
I have another boy
p. 124 Klat-a-wa-ma-mook-elihe
go on with the survey
p. 124 Nika is-cum, seventy acres
I get seventy acres
p. 129 ictas
presents
p. 130 Leander, Clat-a-wa-o-koke-Sun-Siletz.  E-li-he, hi-ka-tum-tum,
hi-ak-clut-a-ma.
Leander goes to Siletz, my heart will go with him, to-day.
p. 130 Ni-ka-wake-clut-or-wa-niker, min-a-lous.
If I don't go, I will die.
p. 132 Con-chu-me-si-ka-ka-tum-tum?
How is your heart now?
p. 132 How-urt-ku-kov-kum-tum-tum-ni-ka.
My heart is happy now.
p. 138 Meacham on a river steamer of the Steam Naviation Company
traveling up Columbia River to Warm Springs and Ya-ha-ma agencies.
p. 140 Soch-a-la tyee
God
p. 142 sachems...in their wooden graves [captain discussing graves on
island they are passing]
p. 148 discussion of salmon fishing at The Dalles
p. 151 Meacham visits Warm Springs Agency in February, 1870.  Indians
insist on Tyghe Valley as a home; Government refuses; under threats and
intimidation, the Indians finally agree to accept home on "Warm Springs
Reservation".
p. 151 John Mission and Billy Chinook
p. 151 The Tenino band were in possession of, and had made improvements
of value near, "The Dalles".
p. 157 discussion of Indian fishing rights at The Dalles
p. 160 Warm Springs has been assigned to the Methodist Church...
p. 181 Meacham visits Umatilla Agency in 1871.  It is under the
management of the Catholic Church.
p. 183 dressed "à la Boston"
painted cheeks, high chignons, immense tilting hoops, and high-heeled
bootees
p. 183 The dance, or hop, was also Boston, with music on a violin by a
native performer.  The first was an old-fashioned "French four"...
p. 185 Meacham tells lots of native stories about horses for the next 20
pages.
p. 198 Me-si-ka wake cum-tux ic-ta mamook ni-ka tru-i-tan-klat-a-wa
you did not know how to make my horse run
p. 198 Cla-hoy-um, Crabb
good-bye, Crabb
p. 202 pic-i-ni-ne
child
p. 207 Meacham discusses southwestern Oregon Snake River Indians.
p. 213 a-cul-tus-sel-le-cum
a common man
p. 214 mum-ook-sul-lux-ic-ta-hi-as-tyee-si-wash
makes war like a big Indian chief
p. 224 Meacham meets with Snake chiefs We-ah-we-we, E-ne-gan, and
O-che-o.
p. 224 ...Donald McKay, who was in government employ, we were supplied
with an interpreter.  Donald is not only a scout, but he is a linguist
in Indian tongues, -- speaking seven of them fluently, -- the "Shoshone
Snake," included.
p. 226 We-ah-we-wa...had learned the Chinook jargon and could speak
"Boston" sufficiently well to make himself understood...
p. 227 [interesting description of native camp in sagebrush area]
p. 230 [Meacham describes medicine-man practice on a patient]
p. 233 To illustrate how these talks were conducted:  a white man speaks
in his own language, a Warm Spring Indian repeats it to his own people,
who in turn, tell it to a Klamath, he to a Modoc, and then it goes
through the Wal-pah-pa's mouth to the Snakes'.  Often three or four
sentences, of different sense, are being translated at the same time...
p. 245 Meacham journeying to Klamath Agency accompanied by O-che-o,
Tah-home and Ka-ko-na.  Resume journey from Yai-nax to Klamath Agency.
p. 247 [description of Klamath Agency native population]
p. 260 [discussion of President Grant's "Quaker policy"]
p. 263 ...could speak "Boston" quite well...
p. 265 Now-wit-ka, Ni-ra-nan-itch.
Yes, I see.  Law not all the time same.  Made crooked.  Made for white
man.  Ah ha, me see 'em now.
p. 265 Now-witka, Now-witka, Muck-u-lux, Klamath, Mam-ook, Bos-ti-na
Law, O-ko-ke, Sun.
Oh, yes!  Oh, yes!  The Klamath Court is now open.
p. 268 Now-wit-ka ni-hi
yes, I do
p. 279 ko-ho
Indian game of ball [discussed at length here]
p. 281 wo-cus
seed of lily from Klamath marsh used for food
p. 282 tule
grass
p. 284 [Meacham fishes with American equipment of lines and flies to no
success; but is very successful after capturing a pocketful of large
black army-crickets...also discussion of different kinds of trout]
p. 285 ...when the railroad shall have been built, connecting the lake
country with the outside world, it will afford large supplies of fish,
game, wild fowls, eggs, feathers, ice and lumber of the choicest kinds.
Already has the keen eye of the white man discovered its many
inducements and tempting offers of business...
p. 286 [Lost River country, home of the Modocs]
p. 287 Tule Lake...Clear Lake
p. 289 La-la-cas tribe
p. 291 ...every nation is divided into tribes, and tribes are divided
into bands, and bands into smaller divisions, even down to families;
each nation has, or is supposed to have, a head chief; each tribe a
chief; each band a sub-chief; and so on, down until you reach family
relations.  Each tribe, band, and even family, has in times of peace an
alloted home, or district of country that they call their own.  They
claim the privileges that it affords, and are very jealous of any
infringement on their rights...
p. 295 Chief Schonchin; Ki-en-te-poos (Captain Jack).
p. 298 [Ben Wright poisons Indians opposite the "lava bed" on the shore
of Tu-le Lake in September, 1852.]
p. 309 Kaw-tuk!
Stop!
p. 309 [discussion of "Natural Bridge" 20' in width spanning the river,
which is gradually sinking]
p. 311 [detailed description of Modoc house construction]
p. 313 Scarfaced Charlie (says)...you not him
ty-ee!...Hal-lu-i-me-til-li-cum (you stranger)!...
p. 320 Frank Riddle and Toby
p. 321 Me-ki-gam-bla-ke-tu
we won't go there
p. 321 Ot-we-kau-tux-e
I am done talking; or, already! or, the time has come! or quit talking.
p. 322 Tobey Riddle...said in Modoc tongue to her people:  "Mo-lok-a
ditch-e ham-kouk-lok-e sti-nas mo-na gam-bla ot-we."
The white chief talks right.  His heart is good or strong.  Go with him
now!
p. 330 [discussion of gambling]
p. 331 muck-a-lux
people
p. 331 Soch-e-la Ty-ee
the white man sees us
p. 332 man-si-ne-ta
groves
p. 337 cultus wa-wa
a big free talk around camp fire
p. 338 old man Chi-lo-quin
p. 339 [celebration of the New Year, 1870]
p. 343 Link-river Indians taunting Modocs by calling them hallo-e-me,
tilli-cum (strangers)...
p. 351 [Meacham's brother John is commissary at the Klamath Agency]
p. 357 [Meacham recommends Modocs be granted small home at the mouth of
Lost River]
p. 361- Meacham's description of the "Modoc wars"
p. 409 muck-a-lux
my people
p. 409 Soch-a-la Tyee
Great Spirit
p. 419 Grand Ronde
p. 461 Co-pi, ni-ka
myself
p. 485 "Riddle is interpreting the Modoc's speeches into `Bostonian
talk' and Tobey is translating the white men's speeches into the
`Mo-a-doc-us-ham-konk' -- (Modoc language)."
p. 486 Sno-ker jam-bla sit-ka caitch-con-a bos-ti-na chock-i-la.
I will, by-and-by.  Don't hurry, old man.
[Meacham, Canby, and Thomas about to be attacked by the Modocs]
p. 492 Ot-we-kau-tux
Already!
[Captain Jack signaling to assassinate Meacham, Canby, and Thomas]
p. 499 Bos-tee-na soldiers.  Kot-pumbla!
The soldiers are coming!
p. 514 Tuts-ka-low-a?
How do you do, old man?
 Te-me-na, Shix-te-wa-tillicums.
My heart is all right.
p. 588 They [Warm Springs Indian scouts] talked some with him [Captain
Jack]; but he was not much of a talker either in English or Chinook...