Meacham's CJ in Oregon 1870

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Mar 19 02:04:12 UTC 2000

Aron Faegre wrote:

> Mike Cleven wrote:
>
> > > p. 8 wick-e-ups
> > > Indian tents
> >
> > interesting = isn't this an algonquin or plains word?
> >

> I should have mentioned that pp 5-31 describe his involvement with moving a
> band of Sacs and Foxes "from their home on the Iowa river 25 miles above Iowa
> City, Iowa , to Skunk River 100 miles west."
>
> > > p. 16 arrival at camp Kish-ke-kosh
> >
> > Modoc word?  Klamath?
>
> Sac or Fox presumably.  But it is interesting to realize that the whites were
> moving around a lot (like Meacham) so that what Meacham calls Jargon or
> Chinook is mixed with language from the midwest where he grew up.

Often the case; and of course it seems that the Jargon _was_ used for
spicing up other languages, or could be readily spiced up with words
from local languages;argots.

> > > p. 25 Kin-ni-ki-nick
> > > tobacco
> >
> > What _is_ the etymology of kinnikinick, anyway?  It's used in old Jargon
> > and still in BC slang English in the Interior; but what language is it
> > from and what does it really mean?
>
> Of course you know it is now the common name of a plant Arctostaphylos uva
> ursi, which was supposedly smoked.  Its a very common plant here in the
> Willamette Valley, especially is well drained soils where there is a good sun
> exposure.

"Supposedly smoked"??  :-)  Twenty years ago or so anyone who grew up in
countryside the Fraser Canyon or Cariboo-Okanagan regions had probably
tried it at least once.  "Supposedly" here has to make me smile.  Alan
Hartley provided the original etymology here - Unami Delaware, from a
root meaning "mix"; another term that's far from home.

> > > p. 52 Umatilla
> > > horse-heaven
> >
> > Hmmmmm.  Is that an Umatilla meaning of Umatilla or what's he meaning?
>
> Meacham thinks that is the translation.  Can anyone clarify whether this is
> true?
>
> > > p. 59 hollow-tree canoe...white "tyeee" of the "great canoe"
> > context?
>
> Meacham is telling a story told him by the natives about Oneatta.  The
> hollow-tree canoe is a canoe, the great canoe is a ship that was supposed to
> have entered Yaquina Bay in some distant time.
>
> > > p. 89 Si-wash-the
> > > usual word for Indian
>
> > any suggestions on that "-the" suffix?
>
> The text just had "Si-wash" but an errata in the front said it should have the
> "the"; perhaps it just an errata of the errata.
>
> > > p. 113 Salem Tyee
> > > superintendent
> >
> > Superintendant of Indian affairs, or of the territory as a whole?  Was
> > Salem the capital from early on?
>
> Superintendent of Indian Affairs for Oregon; based in Salem.
>
> > > p. 115 speeches by Wapto Dave, Jo Hutchins, Black Tom, Solomon Riggs,
> > > speeches...[all given in English translation]
> >
> > Any hint on whether these were made in Chinook or in other Indian
> > languages?  How do they read?  i.e. is what's in them possible to have
> > been _said_ in the Jargon, or are they maybe as much "remembered
> > embellishments" as the various versions of Chief Sealth's speech?
>
> I was thinking of David Lewis's work in going through files -- Dave, it might
> be worth a search of government files -- probably there's a wealth of
> information somewhere.  I'll ask my friend if the family has any old papers.
>
> > > p. 124 Spose Misika Capit mamook icta el-i-he, Kau-yua nika is cum,
> > > seventy acres.
> > > Suppose you stop surveying, and wait a while, I can get seventy acres,
> > > maybe eighty acres.
> >
> > Kau-yua; is that from a local language or can we figure out its Jargon
> > derivation?
>
> This survey is taking place on the Grand Round Agency [why does he use the
> name/spelling of the river from eastern Oregon?] and the person talking is
> said to be a "Wapto" Indian.
>
> > > p. 151 Meacham visits Warm Springs Agency in February, 1870.  Indians
> > > insist on Tyghe Valley as a home; Government refuses; under threats and
> > > intimidation, the Indians finally agree to accept home on "Warm Springs
> > > Reservation".
> >
> > Isn't that a typo for "Tule Valley"; i.e. if this is the Modoc dispute
> > that's under discussion here?
>
> No these are negotiations of several tribes/bands that did become the "Warm
> Springs."  In fact, see p588 -- the Warm Spring scouts were aligned with the
> War Department against Captain Jack and his Modoc band.

Ty-hee I would think it's sorta pronounced, then; is it any variant of
"tyee" do you think or something from one of the local languages?

> > > p. 157 discussion of Indian fishing rights at The Dalles
> >
> > What the heck does "the Dalles" mean, anyway?  Is it from "dal"/"dale" =
> > valley/glen?
>
> >From my prior life as a backwoods canoist, I believe it simply means
> "rapids".  I always assumed it was French.
>
> > > p. 185 Meacham tells lots of native stories about horses for the next 20
> > > pages.
> >
> > Mmmmmm.  Horseflesh.  Recipes or saddlery?
>
> Packing, racing, trading.

Shucks.  I was hoping for some good marinades.