How to see a sample of "Kamloops Wawa" on the Web

Mike Cleven mike_cleven at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 27 19:22:33 UTC 2000

>From: Aron Faegre <faegre at TELEPORT.COM>

>Here's the link ... but it is a bit difficult to see much on my small
>screen
>
>http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13764a.htm

>David Robertson wrote:
  You can see for yourself how odd-looking the shorthand is!

What's even odder looking are the misspellings of BC placenames, possibly
due to spellcheckers but given the early provenance of some of the citations
I think they're just typical period mistakes by those note from the
province: e.g. "Caribou mountains", "Eraser River" (that's a classic!), etc.
  Also cited is the gold rush as being 1862; well, sort of; that's the
Cariboo gold rush although it really started in 1860-1; the original influx
of American miners was in 1858 as has been mentioned before.

Also heavily ironic/tragic to mention the Oblate mission in Williams Lake as
"flourishing"; St. Joseph's (the name of the mission) is one of the most
notorious of the residential schools, and is core to huge lawsuits against
the Church.....what's the date on this Catholic Encyclopedia, anyway;  I
mean, I know the Church is into denial, but not _still_, surely....

MC