Gastchet

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Mar 31 05:16:13 UTC 2000

Klahowya tillikums-

I have gotten ahold of a microfilm from the Berkeley library which has
letter from and to Albert Gastchet. Within this microfilm are Lower Tsinuk
vocabularies of Zoology and Botany (his titles). I have never seen the like
in the archives and I assume that Berkeley has the originals. There are
also many other languages and ethnographies represented: Alsea, large
section on Klamath, Modoc, Snake, Tchakankni Molale, Seminole, Chichimecs,
Natchez, Shasti, Sahaptin, Nez Perce, Kalispel, Beothuk, Yuchi, Kayuse,
Maidu, Wintun, Timucua, Sayustle (Siletz), Abnaki, Tutelo, Shawnee, Kiowa,
Cherokee, Creek, Kaukasus, Tonkaway, Noje/ Nodshe, Campo, Amazon, Quichua,
Coos Bay, ile d'Aruba, Chonlaquero/ Piru, South American, Noza.

Some sections are larger than others, some are ethnographies some are
language lists, some sections are copied out of other research notes. The
scope of these notes is vast and Gastchet has a habit of writing in French,
Spanish, German and English. I copied most of the Oregon notes, except for
the Klamath/ Modoc section as it is large. I will have the use of this
microfilm until April 4. I am going to advocate that the SWORP project get
a copy for the UO Knight library as there is a lot of Oregon material here.

David

 ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><
               David Gene Lewis
         P.O. Box 3086
Eugene, OR 97403, USA
Home 541.684.9003  Cell 541.954.2466
Fax 541.346.0668

talapus at kalapuya.com, coyotez at darkwing.uoregon.edu,
http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~coyotez
http://www.kalapuya.com
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~coyotez

Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde Community, Oregon