Burdash again: "bardace" - attn Yann

Forrest Pass forrest at TRINITY.UTORONTO.CA
Fri Mar 31 18:46:01 UTC 2000

"Berdache" doesn't appear in "Le Robert" (the French equivalent of the
OED).  However, "bardache" is defined as "jeune garcon servant d'amant aux
homosexuels" (young boy serving as a lover for homosexuals).  It first
appear as "bardache" in 1568, and as "bardaiche" in 1537.  Its origin is
Arabic (bardadj=slavery) through the Italian "bardasso" (young man).

Forrest Pass
Forrest D. Pass
Trinity College
6 Hoskin Avenue