Making the sounds?

Nadja Adolf nadja at NODE.COM
Fri Sep 1 18:44:00 UTC 2000

	> Are there CJ recordings from all areas? I have been thinking that it might
	> be possible using Fourier transforms to try and compare sounds from the
	> different areas to see if there are distinctive, quantifiable physical
	> differences in the sounds made in different areas.

	Ouch.  We have a mathematician in the house  ;-)  A randomization module
	for local specializations, perhaps?

Actually, Michael's not on the list. He isn't exactly a mathematician - he's
an extremely brilliant engineer. Right now he and I are having an unhappy
time - he got kicked out of an invitation-only conference for bringing me
once as a guest - apparently a lot of people complained because I was neither
intelligent enough nor interesting enough for their tastes. His old friends
do not exactly like me, and have asked me a lot of questions as to just
how he and I got involved because we are so "obviously" ill-suited. I've
been accused of everything from hypnotizing him to gold digging. And the
funny thing is that when we met he wasn't doing well financially at all,
and I was just a line engineer.

I refused to marry him for years because I knew how his crowd felt about
me, and I knew what would happen if we did get married. And I feel awful
because he's so depressed, and there is nothing I can do to help.

We got back from GR just in time for him to open the explicit "disinvitation"
he'd been sent. He's really depressed, I feel really guilty for going to the
invitation only conference last year, because I knew before we went that it
would be a disaster because of these folks earlier reactions. I'm really
angry that he's being punished for my existence.

I spent most of my time in the hotel room with a cold, and found that unless
he was right beside me, some people would respond to my saying "hello" with
"I don't want to talk to you,", and other examples of boorishness. I was
told by one of his supposed close friends that my relationship with Michael
reminded them of a man and his dog - that the only things he said that I
understood were my name, come, and fetch.

It was 48 hours of pure hell for me, and worse because I knew that more
trouble would happen.

And I'm angrier at myself for letting myself be talked into going when I was
pretty sure what would happen. The funny thing is that I've gotten used to
be told I'm stupid all the time by that crowd, so that doesn't even enter
into my feelings anymore. I did do one wildly inappropriate thing, though.
One woman told me she'd been raised in Shoreline in Seattle. I gleefully
told her my mother had taught there. She looked like she was going to be
ill. I didn't mention that my mother had transferred to another school
district because the parents at Shoreline seemed afraid the color would
rub off on their kids. I also told the individual who described my marriage
as like the relationship between a man and his dog that he was absolutely
correct, that I didn't belong at the conference, and we both agreed on the
subject, and that I had to go find my rawhide chew now.

nadja