"mush": from French or from Chinuk-wawa?

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Sep 9 05:52:22 UTC 2000

Hi, a question touching on Nadja's and Alan's postings:  Is it more likely that the dog-team word "mush" is directly derived from French, or from Chinuk-wawa?  Why?

Jack London and some others I seem to recall reading in our family library used the word "mush" also to mean "trekking arduously", no?  As in the journey from Skagway over the mountains to the interior goldfields.  The seeming connection with the coast makes me consider a Chinook influence possible.

qhata mEsayka tEmtEm?
Dave