On Lu?lu

Nadja Adolf nadja at NODE.COM
Tue Sep 12 06:15:34 UTC 2000

Here are some more thoughts on the Lu?lu. Not
all of them are original with me, some come
from correspondence with other folks on the
list.

One idea is to divide the Lu?lu into multiple
tracks - an advanced track for linguists and
those fluent, and a lessons track for the rest of
us.

Another idea is to spend more time at the Lu?lu
developing language skills - for example, skits
of a storekeeper and customers, etc.

A third idea is to have a second Lu?lu which would
not include lessons and would simply be conversation
in jargon and a hyiu in the evening.

Yet another idea is to find a building or area where
we can stay all weekend, cook together, eat together,
and do an intensive immersion weekend, with all room
objects labelled in Chinook Wawa, and have informal
and formal language training and practice.

And, still another idea is to have the first two
days devoted to intensive language instruction,
including grammar, with the second day being all
immersion, and the third day reserved for all the
technical presentations. The second day would be
full of role playing, skits, games, instruction,
and other jargon activities. All linguistics
presentations and other technical stuff would
happen on the last day only - the first two
days being reserved for language learning and
practice. This idea could be combined with the
all the preceding ideas.

Some folks would like to have separate conferences
for GR and ahnkuttie. I for one would probably
attend both, and those suggesting separate conferences
uniformly note that this shouldn't be done if
it hurts the language efforts at GR.

My personal vote is to use the first two days
for intensive language instruction and practice,
and move the reviews of papers and works in
progress to the last day of the conference.

I think that grammar, sounds, and other things
required to learn the language should be covered
on the first two days - and that there should be
a lot of the skits suggested by other people, and
labeled items and maybe staying in a rental or
at a campground so that we can talk about and
practice daily life as suggested by others.
I also like the hyiu idea. I have problems
with the idea that the conference should just
be for conversing in jargon because a lot of
people just aren't that fluent; and I think that
maybe there should be two conferences held
very near in time and place to each other -
or maybe the conference should be extended a
day, with that day devoted to ahnkuttie.
Admittedly, I am biased toward learning GR
Wawa more than ahnkuttie because of the
greater expressiveness of the GR dialect.
However, I would be eager to attend an
ahnkuttie conference or day of a conference
simply because there are more available
instructional materials for ahnkuttie,
and I feel more competent conversationally
in ahnkuttie.

I personally would like to see more elders
from more places at the conference/(s.)

nadja