Wapato and camas and potatoes and Puget-area native peoples

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Sep 22 01:45:50 UTC 2000

LhaXayEm,

Wel, alta na tEmtEm mEsayka wawa lhush ikta.  Interesting discussion.  Incidentally, if you search the SALISHAN listserv archives from about a year-and-a-half ago, you ought to find relevant postings.  For the moment I will just mention Wayne Suttles' classic book "Coast Salish Essays", which contains a fine article on the history of potato-growing in the Straits/Puget region native cultures.  Ixt mEsayka wawa nayka weyk lili anqati, mayka t'u7an Makah waptu, wikna?  Didn't one of you mention to me recently that you grow Makah potatoes?

Dave