Rebecca A.H. Smith letter, Spokane, 1882 & "Denver CJ"?

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Apr 18 06:04:05 UTC 2001

Hello,

>From the website of our fine local museum, the MAC (formerly Cheney-Cowles
Museum), at

http://www.northwestmuseum.org/archives/manuscriptguide250.htm#253

comes the following excerpt.  I hope to see the entire original soon.  This
snippet makes it sound as though the writer were saying Chinook Jargon was
commonly spoken in Denver, Colorado.  Not likely!

253. Smith, Rebecca Ann Hankins, 1841-1906

  Letter, 1881. 2 p.

  Rebecca Ann Smith was born in Pike County, OH, the daughter of Gilbert and
Mary Hankins. She married Mr. Smith in
  Omaha, NB, and together they farmed in various places in the West. They
came to Spokane Falls about 1881.

  The letter, to Rebecca Smith's sister in Iowa, written while the Smiths
farmed near Spokane Falls, is a simple and
  glowing account of Rebecca Smith's happiness in being in the Spokane area.
Her friendly and supportive relationship
  with an unnamed indian woman who did chores for the Smith family is
noteworthy and exceptional in a time when Whites
  still harbored suspicion and condescension toward Indians. Accompanying
the letter is an "improved" transcription with
  biographical information on Rebecca Smith.

[excerpt from letter:]
  Spokane Falls, W.T. March 22, 1882. I think if you knew half how fine a
village we have here you would be surprised
  we have a great many Natives here we make good use of the squaws I have
one that I have had to work for me for a year
  she is well traind and does all my washing & ironing as nice as I possibly
could brings in all my wood goes on errands of
  all kinds rakes of the garden you ought to hear me talk Indian I
understand Her language prety well the Chinook here is
  pure as that of Denver

  Item level. [MsSc 9]

  .i.Smith, Rebecca A.;.i. Spokane Falls, W.T.;.i. Social life and
customs;.i. Women, as pioneers;.i. Indians;.i. Chinook
  Jargon;.i. Frontier and pioneer life;