[Fwd: New paper postet to PCA: 'Attributive possession in creoles']

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Apr 20 07:26:43 UTC 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New paper postet to PCA: 'Attributive possession in creoles'
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:55:01 +0200
From: PCA <plag at anglistik.uni-siegen.de>
To: plag at anglistik.uni-siegen.de, lappe at anglistik.uni-siegen.de

The following new paper is now available in the

Pidgins and Creoles Archive (PCA):

PCA Number: 7

Title: Attributive possession in creoles

Author(s):
Bernd Heine bernd.heine at uni-koeln.de
Tania Kuteva Tania.Kouteva at phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de

Comments: preliminary version

----------
Abstract:

In the course of the last two decades a wide range of data and hypotheses have
been presented to describe and understand creolization. The goal of the present
paper is a narrow one: It attempts to establish how some specific linguistic
properties characterizing creoles have evolved. Discussion is confined to
attributive (or nominal) possessesion, that is, to the way genitive
constructions are formed.  This means that other kinds of  expressions used to
encode possession, such as possessive pronouns (e.g. 'mine', 'yours') or
predicative possession ('I have a dog', 'The dog belongs to me') are not
considered. On the basis of data from over forty creoles and pidgins it is
argued that the form genitive constructions take in these languages can be
accounted for to a large extent with reference to two factors, which are
grammaticalization and retention. However, in accordance with observations made
by other students of creole linguistics (e.g. Mufwene 1986:130), our findings
suggest that universalist and substrate hypotheses are not necessarily mutually
exclusive; rather they may complement one another in explaining the structure
of creoles.

Best regards,

Ingo Plag and Sabine Lappe

PCA managers