Wawa Jargon/Ojibway

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Dec 27 03:37:49 UTC 2001

"Alan H. Hartley" wrote:

> Ojibway apishimon 'bed' (Baraga _Dict. Otchipwe Lang._)
>
> The earliest mention I've found is:
>
> 1734 in L. Burpee Jrnls. of de la Vérendrye (1927) 165
> deux robbes de 12 castors chaque pour me servir d'apichimon (c'est à
> dire de Lit et de couverture)
>
> editor's trans.: "two robes of twelve beavers each, to serve me as an
> apichimon (that is to say as bed and covering)"
>
> The word came to mean 'saddle-blanket' from the northern Plains to the
> Pacific.

Which is pretty much what the saddle blanket doubled for: bed and
covering on cold nights.  Guess you'd smell kinda horsey afterwards,
huh?  Humm kopa kiutan, wheesh.  Hiyu sun kopa laselle, wake wash.  Hyas
humm, klonas.

Now that we have that "apichimon" from Ojibway, I'm going to have to go
plunder my bookmarks for Ojibway language sites, which I think I've got
one or two of.....nope, both defunct - bookmarked years ago.  Quick
search - hey, waddya know:

HTTP://first-ojibwe.net/
HTTP://first-ojibwe.net/translations/

the dictionary is organized by word category; doesn't seem to be a full
list, so I'll leave it to some boomer out there (boomer=mountain
beaver/inamuks) to do the digging.....

MC

MC