FOUND: 'Over 5000 Chinook words equivalent to 7500 English'

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Dec 30 05:07:07 UTC 2001

Dave Robertson wrote:

> It's in Duployan shorthand, thus murderously difficult to read even once you magnify it!

Unless one was fluent in reading Duployan, as supposedly a great deal of
the Oblate flock in BC were supposed to be (yet still not literate in
English for some).  If the script had developed (for any language) it
has the look of something that could lend itself well to arabesque
renderings and celtic elaboration, and greatly interwoven textual
detail.  Certtainly easier to interweave and scruntch up than Roman
characters; i.e. and still leave legible, to great degree (were they not
so tiny in your case).

Is it laid out in straight lines, in the manner of a Bible or other
book, or is there some other arrangement?  Average size of the
characters, i.e. word glyphs?  If you've got this scanned, Dave, at good
resolution, why don't you post it to somewhere like alt.binaries.misc so
we can all have a look at it?  I'd meant to add a whiteboard to the
rebuild of my new site I was supposedly going to get around to, but
alt.binaries.misc

As a reminder to the whole group, by the way, if anyone needs to post a
visual the way to do it efficiently and netiquettely is to post it to
alt.binaries.misc (mask your address with a NOSPAM however), which is a
general freeposting space for Newsgroups and Listserves; it's then
possible to put a link in your mail to the list connecting to the
alt.binaries.misc post.  Depending on what mail or browser you're using
you may have to still install a newsreader/poster software to get to
such a post, or to anywhere on UseNet.

On the other issue, is it also the case that the Chinook "word density"
is greater than English; it took only 5000 to express what would take
7500 in English?

MC