Congratulations to the Chinook people

Tom Larsen bvtl at ODIN.PDX.EDU
Thu Jan 4 16:34:04 UTC 2001

In today's Oregonian (and in other newspapers too, I'm sure) there is a
front page article about the Chinook tribe finally gaining federal
recognition.  At the end of the article, they quote our old friend Tony
Johnson, in Chinuk Wawa!

Quoting the Oregonian article, Tony says:

"'Finally, my children and everyone from here down, all the kids coming
up, are never going to know how it feels to not be an Indian,' said Tony
Johnson, a 30-year-old tribal member who is chairman of the tribe's
cultural committee and head of the Chinook language program for the
Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde in Oregon. 'That's such a huge deal
to me.' ... He gave thanks in Chinook-wawa, their language. "Dileyt
hlush tum tum nasayka pus uk washinton-tilixam hlaska mamuk kakwa,' he
said. 'It means we're feeling really good that the govenment people did
this.'"

--
Tom Larsen

Monographic Cataloging Assistant