Sywash Derogatory?

critterkids critterkids at BENDNET.COM
Tue Jan 9 21:42:38 UTC 2001

Hi gang!

I have kept quiet for a long time on this site...but this is too
irresistible not to respond to.  I am a member of the Wasco tribe of the
Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs.  I have lived my entire life on the
rez, except for a bit of time in college.  I believe, as do others in my
extended family, that the word "siwash" or any of its different spellings
is, indeed, a derogatory label.  As teenagers, we've had exposure to this
term in public school, resulting in a knock-down, drag-out brawl between
some of the guys.  A Native American, Indian or whatever anglo term you want
to use, might use this term when insulting another peer.  Sometimes the kids
will use this term, teasingly, with their friends in horseplay.   But I have
never heard of anyone referring to themselves as a siwash.  As to
credibility, I use myself and my extended family as my reference of
authority.  There is a group of people, from various tribal communities,
that are working to promote changes of place names, city or town names, or
other public identities (street and such) from derogatory names to something
more appropriate and neutral.  I will be sure to pass this information on to
one of my friends that is involved in this project.  Its not a matter of
being "over-sensitive" but rather a matter of respect...none of us, as
indigenous people, have asked for a national holiday for Sitting Bull,
Geronimo, Black Kettle, Wounded Knee or any of our other famous people or
significant places in history....yet.

Marcia Macy