Sywash Derogatory?

Ray Sayah Jr. rsayah at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed Jan 10 00:11:28 UTC 2001

Hi Marcia and Lisa,

I didn't mean to offend in my original message. I felt that
some basic research would be of value to the conversation. I
would hope that no one considers any native who stands up
for their rights "over-sensitive." This is definitely an
insult to that person. In this case the complainer appears
to be right. (But being sensitive to the ignorant shows a
greater desire to work with, and educate others).

I would go so far as to say that - exactly which phrases are
derogatory is both in the eye of the person who uses the
phrase and in the eye of the person who is being referred
to. Each party should try hard to understand the intent and
feelings of the other.

I have some thoughts about the French.  I agree with the
things that were said about the French (and the way they
treated other peoples) for the most part.

So, other that the word "tilikum," how would native Chinook
speakers differentiate between Bostons and themselves?

-Ray