Mystery word: "depooye"

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon Jul 2 03:48:32 UTC 2001

Klahowya, tillicums,

Probably not directly related to Chinook Jargon, but in Rev. Elkanah Walker's "Letters and Diaries ... 1838-1852" (typescript version in Spokane Public Library's Northwest Room), on page 140 (circa 1843) he writes:

"...and lo, a poor half-starved to death dog, had eaten a large hole in through the tent, and about half of our meat, two buffalo tongues, and a fine piece of depooye which was put up on purpose for me [by 'Ponderays', i.e. Pend d'Oreille Salish Indians], by my saying I was very fond of it.  We regretted the loss of our tongues more than anything else."

[As would I, living among speakers of such foreign languages!]

Anybody know what 'depooye' is?  Is this a French word?

Thanks,

Dave