Who wrote "St Marks Kloosh Yiem kopa Chinook"?

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Thu Jul 5 21:12:28 UTC 2001

Hi,

Who wrote "St Marks Kloosh Yiem kopa Chinook"?

This was published by a missionary bible society in London about a hundred years ago (perhaps in a preliminary edition).

Could there be a connection with Rev. C.M. Tate, for example -- the author of "Staylim-Peypah..." (hymn-book) in Halkomelem Salish around the same time?  The latter book included an appendix of Chinook Jargon versions of the same hymns.

Recent borrowings from BC native languages in the Chinook of "St Marks..." would be a useful clue in the search for a geographical area where the author learned or used Jargon.  However, I don't find any obvious loans like this in the book.

There's a tendency for the usual <tl> digraph to be written as <dl> in "St Marks...", also.  This conceivably could reflect a particular indigenous language's influence on the Jargon pronunciations, Kwakiutl, for instance.

The spellings overall look to me as though they reflect one person's perception of how he/she heard Jargon spoken.  The spellings do not particularly look as if they were inspired by or guided by the copious extant printed materials about Chinook Jargon of the period.

Any opinions or information are welcome.

Dave