"Dr. Franz Boaz" [sic] in _Kamloops Wawa_, Dec. 1894 (no. 123)

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sat Jul 7 01:44:30 UTC 2001

Tlus son,

I've heard claims that Boas had some connection with the _Kamloops Wawa_ newspaper -- and today I found the proof I'd hoped for.

On page 200, "Our Monthly Budget" (a regular feature in _KW_, 'budget' seemingly meaning something like a diary, and 'we' meaning Father Le Jeune), is the following paragraph.  Words in <angled brackets> are *not* in shorthand in the original.  Spellings are unchanged from the original, but I have transcribed the shorthand letter shaped like <U> variously as 'e', 'i', 'ey' in order to make this easier to read.

"<5...Dr. Franz Boaz.>  Chi nsaika nanich kopa Nort Bend iht man iaka nem Doktor Frans Bos.  Iaka mamuk tsem kanawi sawash lalang kopa ukuk ilihi; iaka iskom Chinuk pipa, pi iaka aiak chako komtaks.  Kopit pulakli iaka nanich ukuk Kamlups Wawa pipa, pi iaka mamuk tsem kopa Chinuk kopa tilikom kopa Nort Bend, pus klaska mamuk tsem kopa pipa ankati syisim, Kayuti iaka syisim i.t.s., pi iaka wawa pus alki iaka peye klaska mokst tala iht peysh kopa ukuk mamuk."

Vocabulary help:  syisim = story (ikanEm in Grand Ronde); Kayuti = Coyote (t'alapas in GR); i.t.s. = etc.; peye = pay; peysh = page.

Anyone want to post a translation of this?  I'll be posting a translation of the "skukum haws tanas man" article soon, if no one else does.

Dave