"Quinnat" crosslinguistically; early contact-period salmon names

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Thu Mar 1 21:53:33 UTC 2001

Dave,

Are you familiar with Nancy Turner's books, Plant Technology of First
Peoples in British Columbia and...and...and....the one on food plants (it's
usually right here on my desk but I can't put my hands on it this very
minute!). Both are handbooks published by the Royal British Columbia Museum
and both are excellent resources, thanks to the range and erudition of their
author and her sources.

Nancy Turner also co-authored a book on the ethnobotany of the Nlaka'pamux
(I hope I've spelled that correctly) with Laurence Thompson, Terry Thompson,
and the inimitable Annie York whose recollections and plant knowledge
suffuse the book.

Theresa K.

>Let it not go unmentioned that a similar study of names of indigenous
plants in NW English would also be nice to see.  Consider
"sarvisberry"/"serviceberry"/"saskatoonberry"; "Hudson Bay tea";
"kinnikinnik"; "red willow"; "skunk cabbage"; the range of trees referred to
as "pine"; "honeysuckle"(?); and so on.  This use of ethnobotanical
methodology would certainly fascinate me, but then, this is one of my
personal obsessions.

>Cheers,
>Dave
>
>Dave
>Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at
http://webmail.netscape.com/

Theresa Kishkan
RR1 Site 20 C11
Madeira Park, B.C.
V0N 2H0
(604)883-2377
Red Laredo Boots (1996); Sisters of Grass (2000)

"What secrets do the hills contain in their suede hollows, what mysteries
are lifted from the stones in the unbearable stillness of morning?"