Fwd: Workshop on Pidgins: Their Nature & Significance (London, 19-21 April)

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon Mar 5 06:12:32 UTC 2001

*************   CreoLIST posting   **************
 Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 16:57:20 +0000
 From: "Philip Baker" <battlebridge at talk21.com>
 Subject: Pidgin Workshop - last call

 WORKSHOP ON PIDGINS: THEIR NATURE AND SIGNIFICANCE
 University of Westminster, 309 (Upper) Regent St, London W1
 19-21 April 2001

 If you have not already responded to one of the earlier circulars about
this
 workshop but would like to attend, please let Philip Baker <pb at soas.ac.uk>
 and Hans den Besten <h.den.besten at hum.uva.nl> know IMMEDIATELY.  There is
 no conference fee and the workshop is open to everyone who wants to come,
 whether or not they present a paper.  Cheap student accommodation is
 available for everyone who would like that (see below).

 We had scheduled 24 presentations but currently have 28 offered.  We think
 we can adjust the programme to accommodate these.  While we may not be able
 to accept any additional papers for presentation unless there are
 cancellations, we will be happy to distribute copies of any other papers
 submitted to participants and consider these for inclusion in the book (or
 books) which result from this workshop.  (The book(s) will be published in
 the Westminster Creolistics Series.)

 Anyone who is unable to attend the workshop but who would like to
contribute
 to the book should send an outline of their proposed contribution to Hans
 den Besten <h.den.besten at hum.uva.nl> as soon as possible.

 Everyone who will be making  a presentation at the workshop should send a
 brief abstract of their paper by e-mail to battlebridge at talk21.com by 2
 March 2001.  (If using IPA characters, please send the abstract as a PDF.)
 These abstracts will be put together in a booklet to be distributed at the
 workshop.

 Those who have attended previous workshops or conferences at the University
 of Westminster should note that we have a new, improved venue this time -
 the original Polytechnic building in Regent St.  This is located close to
 Oxford Circus underground station, just off London's main shopping area
 (OxfordSt.) and within easy walking distance of Soho (restaurants and night
 clubs) and many theatres, cinemas and bookshops.

 Bed and breakfast ACCOMMODATION is available at £20 per night at College
 Hall.  These are individual student rooms without attached bathrooms (but
 there are bathrooms on every floor), located 15 minutes on foot from the
 workshop venue.  (There are buses nearby for those who prefer not to walk.)
 This is not the same accommodation as was offered on previous occasions
 (Ramsay Hall) and was chosen because it appears to be a more convenient
 place to stay.  It is located in Malet St, WC1, almost next door to what
 used to be Dillon's University Bookshop (now taken over by Waterstone's).
 Hotel accommodation in central London is exceptionally expensive and costs
 from £60 per night upwards.  We have provisionally booked 30 rooms at
 College Hall for the nights of 19 and 20 April.  Rooms should be available
 for other nights before and/or after the workshop for those who want them
 but it is very important that everyone who wants to take advantage of this
 accommodation should inform Philip Baker WITHOUT DELAY.  If you do not yet
 know how many nights you will want to stay, please send your best guess.
We
 need to give an overall estimate of numbers NOW but it will be possible to
 make minor changes later.

 Full details of how to get to the workshop venue from major airports, etc.
 will be circulated to everyone who responds to this circular (but not via
 CreoLIST).

 As indicated in earlier circulars, papers presented at this workshop will
 fall into two main categories:

 (A) those dealing with theoretical questions; and
 (B) those dealing with individual Pidgins

 Category A  will include papers on the salient characteristics of Pidgins
 (Is there a set of features common to all Pidgins? To what extent are these
 features also found in Creoles?); the relationship between Pidginization
and
 Creolization (Evidence for and against the "classic" theory that Creoles
are
 Pidgins which have acquired native speakers. Are there differences between
 Pidgins and Creoles which can be defined in linguistic terms?), the
 contribution of so-called "foreigner talk", and the relevance of SLA
studies
 to Pidgin genesis.

 For category B, we intend to concentrate on hitherto undescribed or
 underdescribed Pidgins, especially those for which historical data are
 available and including those which are now extinct .  We currently expect
 to have papers dealing with most of the following: Antera Duke¹s West
 African (PE), Australian Aboriginal Pidgin English PE, Cameroon PE, Cape
 Dutch Pidgin, Chinese PE, Chinook Jargon, Delaware Jargon, Fanakalo, Fijian
 Pidgin Hindustani, Français tirailleur, Govorka (Taimyr Pidgin Russian),
 Greenlandic Pidgin, Haida Pidgin, Hawaiian PE, Lingala, Lingua de Preto,
 Lingua Franca, Masbieker-Afrikaans, Mobilian Jargon, Munukutuba, Nigerian
 PE, Pidgin Fijian, Borgarmålet, Pidgin Polynesian, Russenorsk, Sango,
 Tay Boi, and West African Pidgin Portuguese.

 The following have all indicated that they would like to take part in the
 workshop and/or contribute to the book: Jacques Arends, Gertrud
Aub-Buscher,
 Caroline Aubry, Philip Baker, Peter Bakker, Hans den Besten, Hildo do
Couto,
 Emanuel Drechsel, Sonja Ermisch, Fred Field, Karl Gadelii, Anthony Grant,
 Magnus Huber, Ernst Håkon Jahr, Valeri Khabirov, Alain Kihm, John Ladhams,
 Marie-Louise Njong Mallah, Lutz Marten, John McWhorter, Rajend Mesthrie,
 Salikoko Mufwene, Peter Mühlhäusler, Dudley Nylander, Shin Okajima, Mikael
 Parkvall, Peter Patrick, Paul Roberge, Sarah Roberts, Jean-Louis Rougé,
 Neville Shrimpton, Jeff Siegel, Norval Smith, Dieter Stern, Anand Syea,
 Loreto Todd, Hein van der Voort, Viveka Velupillai, and Tonjes Veenstra.
It
 would be greatly appreciated everyone whose name appears in this list would
 please confirm (or disconfirm) their intention to come to the workshop and
 let us know whether they would like student accommodation to be booked for
 them - AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.  If anyone would like us to advise on
 alternative hotel accommodation, please let us know.

 Philip Baker <pb at soas.ac.uk>    Hans den Besten <h.den.besten at hum.uva.nl>