re "Native speakers of the pidgin"

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Tue Mar 6 06:38:07 UTC 2001

Hello, all,

Please let me make a very brief comment in praise of our list members' acuity:

Sally Thomason <thomason at UMICH.EDU> wrote:
> a consistent CJ phonology across Native
> speakers of the pidgin

I would like to thank you, Sally, for capitalizing "Native" in this instance, where of course it's essentially a synonym for "indigenous".

I also would like to thank our list members for understanding the distinction between this capitalized usage and the noncapitalized one, where "native" is another way of labeling a "mother tongue".

A small but crucially important distinction, in the case of Chinook Jargon!

Dave