... cf. Tlingit CJ discussion

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Sun Mar 11 20:21:44 UTC 2001

Hello,

I agree with Sally that the documentation of native Tlingit speakers' Chinook Jargon is scanty.  In my papers are very few items having possible reference to this.

One is a short Jargon vocabulary published in the naturalist John Muir's account of his travels in Southeast Alaska, whose only unusual feature as I recall is the presence of the word "Friday" with a gloss like "inshore" or "to home port".  No phonological peculiarities, although instead of a spelling like <klahowya>, Muir gives ~ <sa-ha-ya>, which I have taken to be a sincere attempt at representing the voiceless lateral initial -- what I write as <lh> or <L>.

Another is a handwritten Jargon instruction manual by Fr. Rene', S.J., from the Gonzaga University Library special collections.  Rene' was posted in Sitka for some years, and we may assume that this manual was used by him in order to establish some direct communication with Indian, largely Tlingit, people there.  Again, there are no phonological peculiarities evident, despite certain textual clues (like the presence in Rene's CJ practice dialogues of <sah> "sir") suggestive of a composition postdating his arrival in Sitka.

It would be marvelous to be able to see S.V. Johnson's Tlingit CJ data.

Best,
Dave