Fwd: Re: Aplodontia rufa, cont.

zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET zenk at USWESTMAIL.NET
Sat May 5 22:38:03 UTC 2001

Subject: Re: Aplodontia rufa, cont.
To: zenk at uswestmail.net
From: Dell Hymes <dhh4d at cstone.net>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 16:38:07 -0400

Dear Henry and all,

    As to Chinookan sources:
    Edward Curtis (W. E. Myer): nothing  for any of the Chinookan
languages.
    Clatsop:  the only source of which I know was a vocabulary taken
down by Boas when he first sought Chinookan speakers, about 1890.  No entry
for  this critter.
    Shoalwater Chinook:  no entry in Handbook of American Indian
Languages (1911), pp. 598-9 (small animals), but there may well be one in
the texts, or in the additional (unpublished) vocabulary taken by Boas.
    Kathlamet Chinook; s-q'ula 'woodchuck blanket' in Kathlamet Texts
(1901), pp. 51.5, 201.7.
    Wasco :  a-q'ula 'mountain beaver' (Walter Dyk, et al)
        i-q'ula Jeremiah Curtin in BAE vocabulary list, p. 110, #60
        'oppossum'.  With note:  one in mountain, no tail.

        Hope this is useful.
            Dell