An old Washington State College football cheer

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sat Oct 27 18:08:55 UTC 2001

Klahowya,

Here's an odd bit of info that's been an in-joke in my family for years.
Only now have I thought of a possible, if remote, connection with Chinook
Jargon.

One of my brothers found an old Washington State College (now WSU; located
in Pullman) book of college songs several years ago, dating to the 1920's if
I recall.

One of the football cheers in it which we found intensely humorous included
the words "Muck-e-i!  Muck-e-i!  Washington-e-i!"

I think my family has analyzed these as faux Linnaean, you know, name a
species after yourself:  Glossophilus Robertsonii.

But out of thin air yesterday (at work, Karen, sorry), this cheer came back
to me, suddenly sounding like perverse Popular Chinook Jargon of that era
when plenty of folks knew at least a few words of CJ -- one of the
best-known being "mucky-muck" for "eat / food".

Perhaps a badge of intense regional pride, if so?  If not so, perhaps more
of a jeer, like "here's mud in your eye!"?

Ikta mesika tumtum?

Dave (kopa house)