A 'Lillooet Jargon'? (Edwards, "Short Portage to Lillooet")

Dave Robertson TuktiWawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Wed Sep 12 03:04:00 UTC 2001

Thanks to Mike Cleven, who transcribed all of this from his copy of this book, and added several explanatory comments.  This passage made a definite impression on me when I recently read it at the Lillooet museum.  --  Dave

   INDIAN WORDS - Seton Portage to Pavilion - Lillooet Language

   Winch - it is not
   Chuwuw - creek, littlewater
   Schkum-cum - mountain
   Ga-nashaw - Where are you going?
   Canmin ska ka - Are you feeling better?
   Tamp-qua hatshu - What do you want?
   Hump malth - goodbye
   Qua jez - go away
   Ea-them - come and eat
   Skan oqua-shu - Come drink with me.
   Skeema-cha - Come quick
   Shutick - N. Wind
   Scopich - S. Wind
   Maka - snow
   Squeesh - rain [even more descriptive than snass, wake nah?]
   Soquaw - salmon [this is one word for salmon; there are many]
   Caha - dog
   Skaha - horse
   Mowich - deer
   Schisqua - sugar
   Zack - bread
   Cheblain - flour
   Nes-ootska - get out
   Homan-chute - hurry
   Shima - come on
   Homough - goodbye
   Snowa - hello
   Canim - canoe
   Coosktrum kika - thank you, girl
   Apa - boy
   Cokameet - baby
   Aye - yes
   Uh - no

   These are not in th real old Indian language as you would not be able to
   say the words.  Bill Edwards check these and said they were best like
   this, the simple spoken jargon.

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous