Takelman (was Tututni )

Alan H. Hartley ahartley at D.UMN.EDU
Wed Dec 4 23:58:18 UTC 2002

Tony Johnson wrote:

> I've heard of some recent work debunking the grouping of Kalapuyan
> and Takelma into the same language family.  Anyone know anything about that?
> Henry

Lyle Campbell _Amer. Ind. Langs._ (1997) 120: "The Takelman hypothesis,
which unites Kalapuyan and Takelma, now seems highly likely, if not
fully demonstrated..."

Marianne Mithun _Langs. Native N. Amer._ (1999) 514: "In 1998 Kendall &
Tarpent [M.-L. Tarpent & D. Kendall, SSILA paper] examined the evidence
more closely and concluded that Takelma and Kalapuyan do not share a
special relationship after all. Some earlier perceived similarities were
simply erroneous. Others are due to content[?] and perhaps a deeper
common Penutian affiliation."

Oh boy...

Alan