animate/inanimate

Linda Fink linda at FINK.COM
Sat Dec 7 00:02:40 UTC 2002

Hmm. I'm not sure. Hloosh-nanich! means Look Out! In other words, understood
subject "you". Munk mimelus means kill. You most likely would be killing
something animate. Munk hlah (not sure how to spell that) means bring out
(while chago hlah means come out). Seems like you could bring out a thing or
a person.  ???? ...Linda

(1)     Munk-nanich!
(2)     Munk-nanich yaka!

My perception is that (1) is most likely to mean "Show it [to me/us]!"  My
perception of 2 is that it's most likely to mean "Show him/her [to
me/us]!"  That stuff in square brackets is there because I think it's a
perfectly good, variant way to understand each of these sentences.

What's the difference between the 2 sentences?  A little kid can see it:
#2 has /yaka/.  #1 doesn't.  #2 means "he" or "she"--its object is
animate.  #1 doesn't--it means "it", & its object is inanimate.

In even simpler words:  With subjects ("doers"), always use /yaka/.  With
objects ("do-ees"), you can leave out yaka if the object is a thing.  Final
examples to sum this up, if I'm not wrong:

(3)     Yaka kEmtEks.          "He/she/it knows it."  ("It knows it"--maybe
referring to a computer's abilities.)