Chinook and the Ethnologue

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 1 00:59:18 UTC 2002

>I was going to Cc my last email under this Subject to the Editor of the
>Ethnologue, as it is certainly information they should have. However, they
>apparently do not permit email contact with the Editor (Webmaster yes,
>Editor no).

So anyway, it would be a useful public service if someone more knowledgable
than myself were to fill out the online questionnaire at

http://www.ethnologue.com/ethno_docs/language_update_form.asp

and submit it, for the benefit if not of SIL (whom one may or may not wish
to help) then of the thousands of people around the world who rely on the
Ethnologue, uncritically, because its deficiencies have not been made clear
to them. It would be good if this were done both for the Chinookan languages
(vis-à-vis their dialect taxonomy) and for the Wawa (in which, inter alia, I
believe some Bible portions were published (Mark, ¿no?); this should be
noted at the end of the language entry).

lilEnd