/kupkup/

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Mon Feb 4 06:18:33 UTC 2002

On Sun, 3 Feb 2002 21:25:12 -0500, Dave Robertson
<tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You can buy /kupkup/ (dentalium shells) from Shipwreck Beads in Olympia, Washington.  See their website.
>-- Dave

Well, I immediately thought, what's the website, Dave?  (Or, "What's
the frequency, Kenneth?"  Or something like that.)  So I looked it
up, and found it is http://www.shipwreck-beads.com  (Oh.)

Duane wrote a long, dark story in the Tenas Wawa about a man who
gambles all for a potential fortune in dentalium.  It is presented on
the TW  site as Moola John #15
http://tenaswawa.home.attbi.com/sj15.htm (in Jargon beside English).
A sidebar puts the story into historical context at
http://tenaswawa.home.attbi.com/sj15a.htm .

(It was sure a piece of typing.  This is why I can follow the gist of
written "Boston Jargon," even though I still can't understand spoken
Wawa.)

On the subject of Web sites (and artifacts as well), while searching
for links to my site (for the broadcast updated-URL message that went
out earlier today), I ran across this article in the Seattle P-I from
last November entitled, "Chapter Six: The Misadventures of Skukum
Kilay," a fictionalized account of a (supposedly actual historical)
special bear tooth:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/lifestyle/45577_skukum07.shtml

It's part of a saga of 10 short segments.  (I guess their printing my
URL explains the extended fall surge in my hit counter; it usually
goes up each October, but 2001's annual surge lasted through
November).

P.S. Speaking of links, what's happened to the Creolist Archives
(which should be at http://creole.ling.su.se )?  It the site just
down for maintenance, moved, or changed to subscription- or
members-only?  (A password prompt appears on a blank page, but that
could mean any of the above.)

Regards,

Jeff