computer font question

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Tue Feb 5 06:36:13 UTC 2002

"Alan H. Hartley" wrote:

> George Lang wrote:
>
> > I had a vaguely functional PC system for writing Chinook Jargon and
> > Chinook itself to screen and print, twisting the IPA I got from SIL.  They
> > have an 1993 IPA  version I've been able to download but it is missing
> > some of the elements (like the barred lambda) which are despite
> > what the IPA people say is necessary for NW languages.
>
> I think the IPA for barred lambda would be tL (where L = barred ell),
> and for plain lambda dL. IPA doesn't have separate symbols (I believe)
> for affricates. Americanist c, for instance is represented as ts, and
> c-wedge (or c-hacek) as tS (S = esh, or s-hacek).
>
> IPA's font page is http://www2.arts.gla.ac.uk/IPA/ipafonts.html
> where Linguist's Software is the only alternative to SIL.

In the official St'at'imcets orthography the /tL/ is /t'/; formerly
they'd used /tl/ (e.g. Stl'atl'imx) and for the /L/ they use /lh/.  Of
course /t'/ is used in GR Chinook for the ejective-t as in t'alapus.
There are other chosen spellings in different languages in the region
for the same sounds, which complicates everything, IMHO, but of course
as a non-native it's "not my place to say".  It seems that there have
come to be no regional standards for orthography between different
native languages, which is somewhat sad.

For the knowledge of the list community, I received a nasty response via
email today from a listmember who took offense at my suggestion to
forward the Chinese-"font" query to sci.lang, where it belongs, and who
"outed" himself as the instigator of the campaign a couple of years ago
to bar me from the list.  Apparently my posts aren't read by him as he's
killfiled me and so doesn't actually have to read my "useless" posts.
It's disappointing to find that insecurities of this sort still exist
out there, and it's made me wonder how much tar-and-feathering is still
going on behind my back.

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (early BC history)