ick clune query

Terry Glavin transmontanus at GULFISLANDS.COM
Wed Feb 6 08:04:39 UTC 2002

 . . .which sounds a lot like "ikt, klone" (one for three) to me.
but i promised i'd asked smarter peoplle for advice.
any thoughts much appreciated?
please see below:

Hi Terry,

It is a long time since last you helped me with a Chinook phrase.  Would
you mind if I asked again?

Ronsdale is publishing a memoir of a Victoria woman.  Somewhere in the
1870s, she recounts the story of an Indian coming to her house to sell
"gumstick"  -- highly resinous wood used for starting fires.  When the
Indian appears, he says "Ick Clune" and holds out the gumstick which he
wants to sell.  I suspect that Ick may mean one, but I have not been able
to figure out "Clune."  Does it refer to the gumstick? or is it some sort
of greeting?  Or?

Any ideas?