Fonts for Wawa Thanks

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Thu Feb 7 19:49:36 UTC 2002

Hi, Alan.  Thanks.  You must have a Word newer than mine (Word97).  I
see en dash and em dash in there (under More on the Replace menu),
but not en space and em space.  The en/em spaces must have fallen
through the cracks in my version.

The reason I use the en space is that a line will break after an em
dash but not before.  Shaw uses tons of em dashes, so the line
justification will be quite clumsy unless I allow line breaks before
them as well.  A regular space (regardless of its point size) can
spread considerably in width when full justification is turned on; en
spaces don't, but they will wrap.  So I used the combination en
space-em dash-en space, with the en spaces cranked down to the
invisible size of 1 pt.

(Since &emdash; is not supported in most implementations of HTML yet,
my trick for making them on Web pages is <strike>
</strike>.  Because there are regular spaces before and after the
required ones, it'll wrap before or after.  If it wraps, the em dash
will show a bit short, though, as the browser will discard the space
at the end of the line and therefore won't strike through it. But it
looks cleaner than a double or triple hyphen--and Internet Exploder
will break a line at a hyphen, while Netscape won't (argh) (just
something more to remember when formatting formulas or recipes on a
Web page). The only shortcoming to the strikethrough method is the
strike is always the same thickness, whether the text is bolded or
not.)

In WP you could insert an optional line break after any
character---for example, if you wanted to permit something to break
after a virgule aka slash, you could stick one in after it.  I can't
find anything like it in Word, except the optional (syllable) hyphen,
which of course, shows as a hyphen if the line wraps there.  (The
only alternative I can find is planting a manual line break there,
which of course then needs removal if the paragraph is adjusted.)

Regards,

Jeff