Native American welcomes at Olympic opening

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 10 02:03:11 UTC 2002

>From: Mike Cleven <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>
>To: CHINOOK at listserv.linguistlist.org
>Subject: Native American welcomes at Olympic opening
>Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 10:39:11 -0800
>
>Did any of you who might have watched the ceremonial greeting by native
>chiefs at tonight's opening of the Winter Games happen to understand the
>welcomes in any of the five native languages represented - Shoshone,
>Ute, Paiute, Dineh and - ? Gasho?

Dineh? I didn't watch the ceremonies, but I'm wondering about "Dineh".
Without the h it's Navajo for Navajo, but then it's probably also Apache of
many varieties for Apache of many varieties. (It's the same word as the
"Dene" in the language family "Na-Dene", the bulk of which are the
Athapaskan tongues. Means "People", I believe.) Anybody know what specific
People the Dineh chief was speaking for? And if, as I suspect, he was
Navajo, whether the nomenclature signals a movement akin to that for
replacing Eskimo with Inuit/Inuktitut/Yupik etc., or what.

lilEnd