few more French etymological possibilities

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Feb 11 19:25:51 UTC 2002

My contact Jacques in sci.lang provided some more ideas which I thought
the group might find interesting:

> > Lapellah - no idea, but I don't think it can
> >      be from le foyer or le four.
[sbip]

How about "la pelle à feu"? They still used them
in my childhood, "fire shovel" is the best translation
I can think of.

[this was in response to my notion that the French word for shovel, la
pelle, also known in the Jargon, might have something to do with
barbequing over an open fire, i.e. using a shovel as a pan - !?]

and further on lepishemo:

Another possibility has occurred to me: l'habillement
[labijmã]. Why? I asked my wife, who was a keen rider.
"accoutrement" is a familier term used in horse-riding
circles for "harnachement". "Accoutrement" is normally
applied to humans only and is a close synonym of
"habillement" (with a derogative sense)

[which prompts me to suggest that, since it is known to be an
Algonkian/Ojibway word, it may be possible that the Ojibway adapted it
from French at an earlier period; note that in the Jargon terms for
horses and horsemanship tend to come from French; why not also in other
native languages farther east?]

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)