etymology ear/hear

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Feb 24 10:42:57 UTC 2002

"Brian M. Scott" wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:28:52 +0100, "wugi" <wugi at ping.be> wrote:
>
> >Does one know the relationship between these two?
> >Also found in other languages like
> >D. oor-oren, hoor-horen
> >G. Ohr, hören
> >Gr. ous, a_kou_o
>
> Watkins gives PIE */H2kous-/ > */kous-/ 'to hear' and */H2ous-/ >
> */ous-/ 'ear', so the similarity is apparently ancient.  It does look
> as if there might be some relationship, but I don't know whether there
> are other comparable PIE pairs.

Not PIE, but ;-p Chinook Jargon has kwolann for both "ear" and "to
hear"; the verb can be "mamook kwolann" where "mamook" is "to use" or
"to do"; because it's also "to make", "mamook kwolann" can also be "to
make [someone] hear/listen".  I'm not sure about other PacNW languages,
but it's an interesting question in ref to all languages, so I'll bcc
this to the CHINOOK list, where there's various
Salishan/Kalapuyan/Wakashan experts who might have a contribution.  I'm
curious about Semitic, Sino-Thai/Tibetan, Dravidian etc. versions.

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)