Nuxalk

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Jun 10 23:52:20 UTC 2002

Liland Brajant Ros' wrote:
> I think a fair case (that would be argued about both by members of the
> people in question and by non-member BC English speakers) could be made for
> the statement that "'Bella Coola' is the normal English pronunciation of
> 'Nuxalk'". But this may no longer be the case. It surely would have been
> true 40 years ago.

Well, it's an "apples and oranges meet the mice from hell" question.
Bella Coola is actually from a Heiltsuk word which refers to the whole
region, and not to the town of Bella Coola nor to the nation there,
except incidentally.  The people who live there describe _themselves_ as
Nuxalk, and their territory's name is the Nuxalk Nation; it's not
exactly a geographic term, more of a political one.  Today, "Bella
Coola" is the name of the town, "Nuxalk" is the PC-correct term of the
people/nation.

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)