Nuxalk

Ross Clark (FOA DALSL) r.clark at AUCKLAND.AC.NZ
Wed Jun 12 00:50:14 UTC 2002

Just some things I came across to add to this discussion:

Wednesday, January 14 [1835]: Busy with the Billichoola all day. They call
themselves from their river (Nowhalik) No-whalikimich...  (Journals of
William Fraser Tolmie, p.301)

This suggests the basic word is a geographical one; the -imich looks like
the Salish ethno-suffix. And Tolmie gives us his impression of how it
sounds.

Further:

nuXalk "A location --- the Bella Coola valley"
nuXalk-mx "a Bella Coola [sc. person]"
	from the Glossary in Davis & Saunders, Bella Coola Texts

or in another orthography

Nuxalk  "Bella Coola"
Nuxalkmc "Bella Coola native(s)"
	from H.F.Nater, Concise Nuxalk-English Dictionary

And of course Tolmie was a Scot so <wh> means what it says, and <ch> is
quite appropriate for /x/.

Ross Clark