fwd from A. Grant re Tolmie

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Mon Jun 24 19:52:15 UTC 2002

From: "Anthony Grant" <Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com>
To: "The Chinook List" <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Tolmie's vocabularies
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:33:31 +0100

------=_NextPart_000_0044_01C217BF.CFC0B2E0

Klahowya:

Some vocabularies collected by Tolmie when he was very young were =
published in the Journal of the Royal Geographical Society in 1841.  =
They include data from several Salishan languages, and from Upper =
Umpqua, Coast Tsimshian and several other languages, over a dozen in =
all. (I wrote and published an article about this in 1992).   There is a =
vocabulary which corresponds to non-pidginised Chinook among these, =
though his 'Cheenook' vocabulary is some form of Tsamosan Salish.  I'd =
think it inconceivable that Tolmie didn't know CJ but I don't know him =
noting anything down that he identified as CJ.  He also commented on the =
spread and later contraction of Pidgin Haida.

Anthony Grant =20