Dakelh ("Carrier" Athabaskan) loan from CJ; reflects Indian-Indian transmission?

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Mar 29 07:34:23 UTC 2002

Hello,

Reading Bill Poser's fine paper "The Carrier Syllabics", which is available on his website (see Mike C.'s recent post about the Yinka Dene Institute site, which links to Bill's), I see the Carrier word <balhats>, meaning a potlatch.  (Presumably referring to the common NW ritual.  This is among the "very rare instances of syllable-final ts" in Dakelh, and it's not surprising that it's in a loanword from Chinuk-Wawa.)

Note that /p/ isn't a native sound in Dakelh, so the usual Chinuk-Wawa initial sound [p] is rendered by the only native bilabial, /b/.

And note the medial consonant, <lh> (voiceless lateral fricative).  The Dakelh apparently received the Chinuk-Wawa word in a form different from the common, indeed nearly uniform non-Indian realization ~ [patlach].  The presence of /lh/ here again suggests either that Dakelh received an "Indian-sounding" version of "potlatch", or that it re-analyzed the medial consonant(s) from /tl/ or /tlh/ to a perhaps more marke`d /lh/!

We can't reconstruct an entire contact situation from one word, and I'll have to go through the dictionaries of the Dakelh dialects in order to discern more clearly the mechanisms of borrowing there, but this is food for thought with regard to the hypothesis that Chinuk-Wawa's geographical expansion owes a significant debt to Indian-Indian contact.

Cheers,

Dave

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous