"ikta kata" in _Kamloops Wawa_

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Sep 19 00:30:39 UTC 2002

This was kind of interesting to find in _Kamloops Wawa_.

>From a page titled "Besieged in Pekin by the Boxers [page] 83", we have

"Alta nsaika drit skukum haws:  wik kata nsaika wiht komtaks ikta kata kopa
klahani."

("Now ours was really a prison house:  We could no longer know what was
going on outside.")

If my interpretation of this sentence is appropriate, <ikta kata> here is
the equivalent of the characteristic Grand Ronde Jargon /ikta qhata/
meaning "what's up?".