skoo.com

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Thu Aug 21 06:05:33 UTC 2003

Tonight I happened across a short film on OPB about the late UO art
professor David Foster. Looking him up, I discovered the web site he'd
created, the name for which he chose to represent "skookum." skoo.com's an
oldie, first registered in 1994.

The explanation offered for the name is interesting:

>David started this website in the early 90s to explore the possibilities
>of web publishing. In searching for a name that was not registered Dave
>remembered the Applegates. Susan Applegate once described the Yancala word
>"Skookum" as a greating, well wishing, farewell that translated roughly as
>"Everything is ok" "May everything work for you" "Strength to your life"
>
>Dave liked the idea that "Everything is Skookum here." Skoo.com or
>"Skookum" was registered shortly thereafter.

Regards,

Jeff