European sites on Native Americans cropping up

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Sun Aug 24 00:28:24 UTC 2003

Entirely off-topic, I guess, but while digging around for background on the
Yakima wars (an area of NW history I am unfamiliar with, but need to get
"up to speed" on), I ran across this encyclopedic American Indian site--in
Germany. <http://www.indianerwww.de/> He links to about a dozen other NA
sites in Germany. It's a bit mind-boggling:

>Die Wirtschaft der Indianer an der inselreichen Nordwestküste Nordamerikas
>basierte auf einer sehr ergiebigen Fischerei und dem Fang von
>Meeressäugern. Die dabei verwendete Technik war gemessen an ihrer
>Kulturentwicklung sehr beachtenswert und fortschrittlich. Im Sommer war
>der flußaufwärts wandernde Lachs das Hauptnahrungsmittel der dort lebenden
>Tlingit, Haida, Tsimschian, Kwakiutl, Nootkas, Makah und Chinook.

Unfortunately the site is set in frames, so translating it via Google is
difficult. Open a frame in a separate window, then paste the resulting URL
into Google (then select "translate this page") or conversely, snag the
link to a page you're interested in (by right-clicking on it) to paste it
into Google.

J.

Bonus link (for broadbanders): A relaxed and amusing 15-minute RealAudio
interview with Sherman Alexie:
<http://www.npr.org/display_pages/features/feature_1397737.html> He claims
to be the least funny member of his family, but the only one who wrote it
all down.