Note on "Note on the Chinook Jargon"

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Dec 9 20:51:39 UTC 2003

Hi, Colin,

--Qhanchi-hayu shanti uk Franz Boas yaka mamuk-t'sEm?
--Lhun-talhlam pi stuxtkin (38) shanti.

You can ask your library to get you a copy of his article, "Chinook
Songs," from the Journal of American Folk-Lore volume 1, pages 220-26
(1888).  They may have to interlibrary-loan it, so it could take several
days.

I've pulled out my own copy of this original article, and it appears to me
that Boas actually did revise the songs and their translations a bit for
the later article I mentioned.

--Dave R.