CJ placename

Bruce, Colin Colin.Bruce at FRASERHEALTH.CA
Mon Dec 22 15:37:23 UTC 2003

I like to look things up on the Innsbruck lecture site (
http://www.arts.ualberta.ca/~chinook/Innsbruck/ ) put out by Dr George Lang.
Since it often shows a full range of possible historical pronunciations.

Here's Dr. Lang's entry for Kokshut

kakshEt, get ruined, beat. Verb / Adj. N. Walker: Mokquilla kakhsheetl
quotluk "Maquinna kill otter" Gray: quotcheetle. Ms. 195: cokchuttle, "to
strike, to injure". cockshul stick, "to cut wood".

And Dr. Lang has written the following for Kiuatan.

khiyutEn, horse. Noun. Franchère: koutane. Ms 195: isoum nicah caywahtum
"bring me my horse".

It seems that the final "t" in Kokshut is actually a "tl" and the first
syllable is an "ah."  Maybe its more like kaXshElh.  Sometimes I've seen the
"oo" sound become a "wa" or an "aw" as in the example found under khiyutEn.
Maybe someone who knows better could expand on the diversity.