South Sea Islander and Pacific Northwest Earth Ovens.

Colin Bruce cbruce at SMARTLINE.COM.AU
Mon Feb 3 22:29:50 UTC 2003

South Sea Islanders have a beautiful way of cooking they call "umu."  Rocks are heated in a fire
pit.  The burned wood is removed and food is placed on banana leaves covered with leaves and then
earth.  It tastes like it has been smoked and steamed at the same time.  I understand that this
cooking style was practiced in the Pacific Northwest.
My CJ question is:  Is that the "pinEs" style of cooking found in Jacob's transcriptions and is
there anyone who still enjoys cooking this way in the Pacific Northwest? It's delicious but I've
never seen or heard of it still being done in Canada or the US.